Saturday, February 23, 2013

Non-curling Loomed Hat

Ever since I began loom knitting I have had problems with the issue of curling edges. While I am still trying to address this issue when knitting scarves and flat panels, I found a pattern that I love for making a hat brim that doesn't curl or roll and doesn't need to be folded up (but looks very cute folded as well!). It creates a lovely finished edge and adds interest to a basic knit stitch hat.


Of course when I took pictures of this hat, I neglected to leave the brim unfolded. But you can see in the picture below that the brim uses a different stitch pattern that allows for a neat finished edge. No rolling. Here is a photo of another hat that uses the same method and isn't folded:


I used the red Knifty Knitter round loom for the purple hat, this pattern isn't size specific and can be used with any size or brand loom.

Use the Long tail cast-on method. A great site for cast-on and bind-off tutorials can be found here.

Purl one row. Knit one row. Purl one row.

E-wrap and knit over until your hat is the desired length.

I love using the flat draw-string bind-off method over the traditional gathered bind-off. It creates a more smooth top with fewer gathers. A bit more complex, but once you get the hang of it and compare it with a gathered bind-off you will see that it is worth it. Directions can be found at the link above.


Add your favorite pom pom, flower, or leave it as is! This is definitely my go to hat pattern because it is quick, well made, and very cute. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment